One of the most colorful ferns for the garden, the Japanese Painted Fern has silvery-grey fronds which are dusty purple towards the center. They are set off by the purplish-red veins and stems.
This fern has a low and mounding habit, slowly spreading by rhizomes to form dense colonies. The fronds are positioned in a way that creates a horizontal layering effect much like you see in Dogwood trees.
- Type: Perennial
- Zone: 3 to 8
- Height: 1.00 to 1.50 feet
- Spread: 1.50 to 2.00 feet
- Bloom Time: Non-flowering
- Bloom Description: Non-flowering
- Sun: Part shade to full shade
- Water: Medium
- Maintenance: Low
- Flower: Insignificant
- Leaf: Colorful
- Tolerate: Rabbit, Heavy Shade